Friday, February 3, 2012

News of the January Salon and then some.

                                                Omar Jano and yours truly before the Salon
                                        Maggie in the space at Deagan Music, chilling at the piano
What a great event the January Salon turned out to be. Here I am thinking, okay, everybody is going to have holiday hangover, it will no doubt be a poor showing. And I was okay with that. But lo and behold, people started calling me and emailing me and texting me, and rsvping on facebook. What the heck I said to myself I said. Hey Maggie, I yodeled, peeps are a-comin'!
So just what and who did happen? An amazing amount of musical diversity happened, that's what! The Red Apples (myself, my beloved Ron Lowy and Dave Lenef, both on guitar) did a mere two tunes, including trying out a new Amy Winehouse cover...that was fun for me. Omar Jano did a cover of "A Stranger" by A Perfect Circle with Maggie on the Rhodes providing some "mood";  it was pretty groovy. We are all enjoying his progress. G'Omar. Another of my students, Jessica Garcia, accompanying herself on guitar, sang a striking original tune, that was quite advanced, given her 13 years. Her singing was excellent as well! Thanks to her mom for bringing her all the way from Bolingbrook to participate.
We heard Marie Cole Hunt's sumptuous sounds again, this time joined by her husband, Henry. Together they performed a stirring rendition of  "Avinu Malkeniu" by Max Janowski, after which Henry regaled us with his version of that classic of all classics "O Sole Mio".  I really enjoyed his beautiful tone on the sotto voce passages.
Barb Selvaggio made her first appearance at the Salon, showing off her blues harp chops as well as her singing, with an assist from The Red Apples. We hope she will share her talents with us again soon! Klaudia Siczek got up and performed with a little coaxing, and got a great round of applause for "Funny Honey" despite her case of the nerves. That's the way to tackle it!
I think we all enjoyed the several original songs Victoria Fuller performed. In fact her song, "The One For Me" has been stuck in my head for days! I love it! Here is a link to her facebook page if you'd like to check out more of her tunes:
https://www.facebook.com/victoriafullerartist
 Erick Deshaun Dorris has become a regular at the Salon-lucky us! His original songs are upbeat, quirky, and soulful, with interesting piano bits, and dude can wail. Bring it on ERICK! Here is a link to his band:
http://boredofeducation.bandcamp.com/
Now, David Zizic is an old friend and colleague of mine and I haven't heard him sing for a while. He really surprised me with his powerful and sometimes even humorous version of "Maybe This Time" from Cabaret. Hope we see more from him, and of course, EVERYBODY!
Dave Lenef of Apple fame, closed the show with a sweet new original tune on the ukelele he's been working up called, "My Shirt and I". It has a great vibe and fun lyrics, everyone totally dug.
Afterward, much hobnobbing and no sobbing were enjoyed by all. There is such a great feel to what is happening at the Salon. Many thanks to Maggie Dahlberg for her tinkling on the ivories, and her space, Deagan Music. Stay tuned for the February Salon, on the 12th; we are now on Meetup and have bunches of new members! SO it may be a madhouse....which would be awesome.
Here is a link to our new Facebook page, please, if you like it, "Like" it!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Singers-Salon/121444207975644
You can click on the "event" to rsvp if you like.
And here's a link to the Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/Singers-Salon/
And finally a link to my website! I will be starting a new Singer's Workshop March 1st! So put it on your calendar!
www.vocalperformanceworkshop.com
Happy Singing all!

No comments:

Post a Comment