Thursday, January 24, 2013

Singer's Salon, A Relevation: Part 2

So now that we've establish the basic philosophy behind the Singer's Salon, let's get to the really good part. The Singer's Salon is turning out to be a very gratifying experience, and not exactly the way I thought it would. I am getting so much more out of it then expected, and I hope (I'm pretty sure...) I'm not the only one. True, I get to host the Salon and make silly jokes and try to be a positive influence on the proceedings. But I also get to see the hearts and minds of the lovely people who come to the Salon as they open to the experience, and share of themselves. I get to participate in the growth of people who come regularly, to see first hand the way they are transforming themselves from nervous or timid or awkward performers, to confident, charismatic and polished ones. I am witnessing beauty in the ranks from all sides, as people encourage each other with real sincerity and heart, afterward comparing notes, singing praises and offering sympathy. Wow! What a thing!(As stated in Part 1,  this doesn't happen at other open mics that I have been too, not so much. I'm not saying NEVER, but it's a different vibe.)
Here are some examples from the recent January Salon: a young lady, whom I won't name so as not to embarrass her, began to sing a song from a popular singing icon of the day. She broke down almost immediately in tears, suffering from extreme nerves, and having forgotten the words. Now apparently earlier that day she had gone to an audition and had a similar experience. But lo and behold, the group all encouraged her to keep going, try again, don't give up and tough it out. It was great! The young lady got through parts of the song, broke down again, gave up, then reneged on giving up, and then kept going AGAIN. She was cheered and came off stage to hugs and support all around. So what about that? Do you think she will ever forget that experience, or will the audience for that matter? Did she learn what it was like to go through the fires of your fears, keep going, survive, and still feel the love? I think so. She did not defeat the problem in that one moment, Hollywood movie-style. No. But she had an important experience.
Erick Deshaun Dorris sharing his talents at the Singer's Salon

Others get on stage and sing with less drama, although they may have issues such as singing in tune, or with very little feeling, or inability to sustain enough breath to make much sound come through consistently. And almost everyone is struggling at some point or another with nerves. Instruction is available to those who seek it (please call yours truly first!) classes and workshops can and will be utilized, (and, in fact, I am beginning to offer a unique workshop series designed especially for Salon goers). But the Salon itself offers its' own rewards, to each and every one of us.
Not every person who comes to the Singer's Salon will become a professional singer, nor do they all even want to I'm sure. But they are surely all becoming better singers and much more importantly, better people.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, this is very helpful for those to learn what it is like to perform with an understanding group. I perform professionally, but I remember coming to the salon after several months of not rehearsing and after numerous colds and my vocals were really bad, but the salon was encouraging and understanding anyway.

    Victoria Fuller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky! I agree that performers of all different levels can benefit from this sort of supportive atmosphere and opportunity to just get up there and do it! It's also great for trying out new material or different approaches to old material. Thanks for coming out, hope to see you again soon!

      Delete
  2. I have never seen such an outpouring os support from total strangers as I witnessed at the Salon in January. It was truly wonderful to see and I hope it boosted the confidence of the singer enough that she comes back and tries again. I love this opportunity to sing in front of such an amazing group of people. Thanks, Wendy for your vision in making this happen for us.

    ReplyDelete